Improving Ergonomics in Material Handling Equipment
Safety and ergonomics in material handling equipment
IADs: the only way to improve ergonomics in manual load handling
Only Scaglia Indeva, among European manufacturers of industrial manipulators, provides the INDEVA devices (Intelligent Devices for Handling) which belong to the Intelligent Assist Devices o IAD manipulator family.
Intelligent Assist Devices are based on a mechatronic technology that, thanks to sensors, controls and servoassisted motors, endows the system of great responsiveness, providing important advantages: IADs, in fact, allow operators to handle and position any load with much more precision, speed and ease, thus increasing productivity significantly .
They contain the controls and the technology required to assist the worker in a way that the device operates as an extension of the worker’s arm.
Compared to the traditional handling devices, such as hoists or pneumatic manipulators, IADs offer following advantages:
- Precise positioning of the load as they allow for accurate and rapid movements, while traditional handling devices overtravel, bounce and require lots of little corrective movements that, added to cycle time, reduce productivity.
- Improved ergonomics by requiring almost no effort from the operator. Thanks to the microprocessor based control, the system recognizes the operator’s intentions and supplies energy to win inertia both during acceleration and braking. IADs react to every minimum impulse by the operator much more quickly than the traditional pneumatic manipulators.
- Speed: IADs respond swiftly, yet smoothly to human touch, winning inertia both during acceleration and braking, amplifying operator movements. The operator notices no time lapse between the machine’s sensing and its response. IADs are not affected by the technological limitations of the traditional air manipulators and hoists, thanks to modern digital drives and servomotors.
- Intuitive control. IAD systems compared to the conventional balancers which are preset for one or two weights, get automatically and instantly adjusted to the weight of the load, thus allowing to handle loads of varying weights without having the operator to reset the system each time.Moreover, thanks to digital technology, IADs can save the value of the load weight in order to allow direct handling (“float mode” or “hands on the load” control) with no need to use handles or to press buttons.
- Handiness: traditional handling devices require unwieldy and heavy lifting tools (end effectors) while IADs allow for light and compact lifting tools which ensure greater visibility during handling operations and and greater ease in moving and positioning loads.